One of the most common issues that users generally face with their Chrome browser is the error message that reads – “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings”. While it is not a major issue and it usually appears when a major problem occurs in your Google Chrome browser.
As there can be different network-related errors that could be causing this error in your Chrome browser, solving the problem can be quite tricky. From the error message, it can be understood that error is related to the chrome browser. If you are also experiencing this error message in your Chrome browser, you can overcome this problem by going through the information provided further.
Reason Responsible for the Chrome Network Access Error
In order to keep your computer system from the threats of malware, viruses, web spam, and different cyber attacks, the operating system is kept protected through the firewall, defender, etc. A lot of users also install antivirus programs or anti-malware software to prevent their system from such infectious components.
While these firewall settings and antivirus programs are configured to prevent your computer system against possible threats, however, these settings sometimes are known for interfering with the connectivity of your internet with the Chrome browser. If you are seeing the error message when using your Chrome browser, this indicates that one of the settings of your Firewall or Chrome is preventing Chrome browser from accessing the internet. In such a case, you can overcome the problem by following the workarounds provided below.
Ways to Fix “Allow Chrome to Access the Network in your Firewall or Antivirus Settings” Error
Below are the different workarounds that you can use to get rid of the error message in your Google Chrome web browser.
Give the Chrome Application Permission in Window Firewall Settings
As said earlier, Firewall settings are known for blocking certain applications from accessing the network due to security concerns. This means if we allow permission to Chrome browser in Windows Firewall, you can clear the error easily in your Chrome browser. While you will need to create an exception for Chrome browser in your Windows Firewall settings to clear the error message, however, you should know that doing so will not only resolve the error message and connect your browser to the internet but also make the way for viruses and malware through the browser.
Once you have considered the risk involved, you can follow the instructions provided below to create an exception in Firewall settings.
- On your computer, start by going to the Start search bar. Once you are in the Start search bar, you will need to type Control Panel in the provided field and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard. This will take you to the Control Panel section of your computer.
- Once you are in the Control Panel section of your computer, you will need to find and select the “Windows Firewall” option from the given menu. You may locate in the System and Security As you will click on the option, you will be directed to the next window.
- In the next window, you will need to click on the “Allow program or feature through Windows Firewall” option located on the left-hand side section. This will open a new window (Allowed Programs) on your screen.
- In the “Allowed Programs” window, you will get a list of the installed applications. Here, you will first need to click on the Change settings button and then on the “Allow another program…” This will open the “Add a program” box on your screen.
- In the “Add a program” box, you will need to click on the .. button and select the path of the Chrome browser to add it to the list.
- Once you have selected the path of the chrome browser, you will need to click on the Add The browser will be added to the exception list.
- You will need to check whether the status of Google Chrome is blocked or not blocked. To do so, you will need to make sure that the checkbox next to Private and Public
- Then, you will need to click on the OK button and restart your computer to make the changes effective.
Include an Exception to the Antivirus Web Shield
Most of the Antivirus programs not only comes integrated with automatic system protection against viruses but also comes with a special feature of a Web Shield. This web shield features provided an added layer of security against online threats and prevents suspicious sites from intruding by blocking them. So, if the above-mentioned workaround doesn’t help you overcome the problem, you can add an exception to the feature. Below, you can find the instructions to add an exception to the different Antivirus programs. The process is similar for almost all Antivirus programs.
- Open Avast Antivirus program on your computer, go to the settings section and click on the “Avast Protection” option.
- In the Avast Protection section, you will see the “Customize” link located next to the Web Shield Click on the “Customize” option and wait until you are directed to the next screen.
- On the Web Shield customization section, you will need to click on the “Exclusions” option located on the left-hand side panel of the window.
- In the provided field below the “URLs to exclude” option, you will need to enter the URL for the particular website for which you wish to create exclusion. Once you have entered the URL of the website(s), you will need to click on the OK button (twice) to complete the process.
- Alternatively, you can also try disabling the “Web Shield” feature by clicking on the “ON” button on the “Active Protection” page of the Avast Settings.
- After that, simply follow the on-screen prompts to turn off the “Web Shield” feature.
- In most of the case this workaround should help fix “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error message.
Open the Bitdefender program on your computer and go to the Protection Window by clicking on the shield
- Next, you will need to click on the link which says View Modules.
- Then, you will need to click on the Settings icon located on the top-right corner of the antivirus program.
- In the Settings section, you will need to go to the Exclusions tab located in the window.
- Then, you will need to click on the “List of files and folders excluded from scanning” option.
- After that, press the ADD button, go to your game directory and select the folder to exclude it from the scanning process. Make sure to also select the Both option before you create an exception.
- Finally, you will need to click on the Add button to save the changes.
NOTE: If you want you can also add the game executable file in the exceptions list by selecting “List of processes excluded from scanning” option. When the window appears on your screen, you can go to the Chrome.exe file located in your main Chrome directory. Simply, select both and save the changes.
For McAfee Antivirus
- Launch McAfee Antivirus program on your computer and click on Manage Security.
- Next, you will need to select the Schedule and run scans option located in the box of Virus and Spyware Protection.
- Then, you will need to select the Schedules scans option from the list. This will open a new window on your screen.
- From the new window, you will need to click on the Add button located under the tab of Excluded Files and Folders.
- Then, you will need to select the Chrome directory after selecting Add through the file explorer.
- Once you get to the location, you will need to select the folder and save the changes you make.
For Kaspersky AV
- Open the Kaspersky AV program on your computer and go to the Settings
- In the Settings menu, you will need to select the tab of Additional and select the tab of Threats and Exclusions from the given list of options.
- Next, you will need to click on the Configure Exclusions located in the middle of the screen.
- Then, you will need to select the option of Add present option located in the lower right corner of the screen.
- After that, go to the Chrome directory using the Browse button and select the folder and save the changes you make.
- Start by opening the Malwarebytes window either by clicking on the icon located in the taskbar located at the lower-right side of the screen, or simply click the program’s launch file.
- Now, once you open the program, you will need to click on the Malware Exclusions tab located on the left-hand side of the window.
- In the Malware Exclusions tab, you will find the option which reads “Add folder”. Click on the “Add folder” option and you will be directed to the File Explorer. In the File Explorer, you will be able to select your Chrome directory
- The default location of the Chrome folder is generally – C:\Program Files (x86)\Google. Once you get to this location, you will need to select the folder and save the changes you made.
Add Exception to the Windows Defender
In certain cases, it has been seen that adding an exception to the Windows Defender also helps in solving the error message. Below are the step-by-step instructions that you will need to follow in order to add an exception to the Window defender.
- On your computer, go to the Start search bar, and type “Control Panel” in the search field.
- From the search result, you will need to select the Control Panel You will be directed to the Control Panel section of your computer.
- Once you are in the Control Panel section, you will need to browse and select the Windows Defender option from the list. You can locate this option in the System and Security settings option.
- Once you are in the Windows Defender section, you will need to click on the “Tools” option located on the upper panel to get to the “Tools and Settings” window.
- In the “Tools and Settings” window, you will need to click “Options” in the Settings Then, you will need to look for the “Exclude files and folders” option in the left-hand side panel of the newly opened window.
- Then, you will need to select the “Add” button located on the right-hand side of the window. Now, you will need to click on the “Browse for Files or Folders” tab and navigate to the Computer > C > Programs Files (x86).
- After that, you will need to look for the “Google” option and select this option. Then, you will need to press OK and Save the option to complete the process.
- Then, simply close the window and restart your web browser to see the error is still there or not.
- If you are using a Windows 10 system, you will need to go to the Settings > Windows Defender > Windows Defender Security Center > Virus and threat protection > Virus and Threat Protection Settings > Add or Remove Exclusions > Exclude a folder > Select the Google Chrome Directory. After that, click on the OK button to complete the process.
- In case you have any anti-malware program installed in your computer system, you will need to follow the same process as mentioned above in the last two methods.
So, these are the different workarounds that you can use to fix “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error message in your Google Chrome web browser.