It is a very scary condition when your computer shows no sign of power. You may have tried different charging option but failed. This is the worst case scenario for a gig whose life has been connected with the machine. There may be some serious issue for which the computer is not getting the power.
There may be various reasons for what a desktop, laptop or the tablet computer is not connecting to the power. So you have to take every step of the complete troubleshooting process very carefully. Here are the detailed guidelines to fix a computer that shows no sign of power.
Remember, this procedure is for the computer which has absolutely no sign of power. If your computer receiving power like turning on light or fan for a moment only, then you need to follow some different procedure to apply.
The difficulty level of the procedure is average. It will take minutes to hours depending on the main root of the problem. You will need an AC adopter in case of troubleshooting of a tablet or laptop. And if you are working for a desktop then you may need a screwdriver.
Steps to Fix a Computer that has No Sign of Power:
- In most of the cases, there was no sign of power in the computer because the computer is not turned off actually. So before starting any complex procedure, check all the power switch and buttons which are responsible for the power connection.
- Check the power button/switch located on the front section for the desktop computer, and for the laptop or tablet, is located on the top or side part.
- There may be a power button just behind the desktop. Please check the button if you have.
- Check the power switch off the UPS if you are using it on your computer.
- Make sure that the power cable of the computer is connected to the power plug. The loose or the unplugged attachment of the power cable is a major issue of the showing no sign of power. You need to plug in the AC adopter for the laptop while troubleshooting. Sometimes your laptop battery is not charged due to the loose connection.
- You need to plug in your desktop, laptop or tablet computer directly to the switchboard. If you are using any power strips, extension cords, power backup or any other power distribution devices between the computer and the main power outlet.
If your computer starts showing the power sign, then it is the medium of connection which has an issue. If the problem persists then you need to do the troubleshooting.
- You need to perform a lamp test to check the power outlet. If there is no power in the outlet, then your computer will not get any power itself. So make sure the power outlet is working perfectly. Try to plug in a lamp and verify it. It is not recommended to use a multi-meter which may give you a wrong idea about the voltage of the connection.
- Make sure that the power supply voltage switch is in the right position while using the desktop. The input voltage for the power supply unit (PSU) should match with the actual setting of your country. If it does not match, then there will be no power.
- If you are using a laptop, remove the battery and try to start the laptop using AC power only. You can easily run your laptop without the attached battery while plugged into the power cable. If your laptop starts after that, then your battery is the main problem. Replace it as soon as possible and until then use the power plug to use the laptop.
- Check the power receptacle of your computer carefully for damage. There may be broken or bent pins or some obstacles to the debris which prevent the power connection. Remove the debris or try to repair the damage if possible to get the connection back. You can also ask for the expert’s help to repair the damage. It is better to remove the internal battery of the laptop before starting the repair work to avoid the electric shock hazards.
- You need to replace the power cable or the AC adapter of the computer. For a laptop or a tablet, the AC adopter is the cable which you plug into the outlet. And for the desktop computer, it connects the computer case and the power outlet. If your adopter or the power cable is faulty, then your computer will never run when the battery will be empty.
- You may replace the CMOS battery if your computer is a few years old. It may happen if your computer remains a lot of time turn off, or you have removed the main battery. CMOS battery is one of the common causes for a computer not showing the sign of power. The CMOS battery is quite common and relatively cheap option which you can find any electronics shop.
- The power switch must be connected to the motherboard while using the desktop. Though it is not a very common reason for not turning off the computer there may be possibilities that the main power cord is not connected to the motherboard properly. Generally, the power buttons are connected to the motherboard through the red and black twisted wires. If there is a loose connection or misconnection of the wire, your computer will not turn on. This problem most of the cases happens with the desktop because it is almost impossible to get to the connection of the tablet and laptop.
- While using a desktop computer, check your power supply. There may be some issues in the power supply unit of the computer for what it is not able to turn on. If this unit is not working then you should replace it. You need to test it by yourself to be sure because there is no point to replace a working power supply unit. If you want to test it, here is the perfect guide for that. If you get an ozone smell and heard a very high pitched noise along with no sign of the power, then consider these as a clear indication of the defective unit of a power supply. Now replace the power supply unit if it will fail in the test. But after replacing the new power unit, you should keep the machine plugged in for at least minutes to charge the CMOS battery before starting.
- Now you have to test the power button which is located in front of the desktop computer case. If the button is failed in the test, you need to replace it. You can not use the reset button in every computer. It depends on the design of the machine to power on it. In some machines, there is a tiny power button in the motherboards which is the easiest way to test the button. If the motherboard of your computer has it to supply power to your computer, then you should replace it to establish the power connection in your machine.
- The last thing you can do yourself is to change the motherboard of the computer. If you are confident that your power outlet, power supply unit and the power button is working perfectly, then it is may be due to the motherboard. You need to replace it as soon as possible to get back the power on your computer. As the motherboard replacing an expensive and complex process, make sure that there is no other reason for showing no sign of power. You need to test your computer with the Power On Self Test card to confirm the issue is caused by the motherboard.
For your laptop and tablet, replacing the motherboard is also the perfect step take. But the motherboard of these computers is rarely replaceable by the users. You should ask the help of a professional technician to change it.
Tips for the Troubleshooting:
- Did you yourself assemble the desktop which is not showing any sign of power? Then you should triple check the configuration to find out the chances of misconfiguration which is the root cause of power failure.
If your computer is not showing any sign of power after following all the above-stated steps, then you should seek the professional help of the trained experts.